GO TO SEASONING

Y'ello eveyone,

 Welcome back to my blog! hope the morning coffee isn't too hot and the traffic isn't too long?! lol, get it? well, after living with Tayo for 5 years, i can categorically say his bad jokes are rubbing off on me so pardon my lack of good sense of humor! Today, i'll discuss my go-to seasoning and how they have become a staple in my kitchen. It'll be accompanied with pictures, so do not panic :)
As Africans in Diaspora, i'm sure we first struggled with getting a taste of home in our food when we first arrived. That mamaput smell in Lagos every morning when we just wake up and mom asks for me to buy Ogi (pap) from the street...(Reminiscing) hahaha those are the good old days. Unpon arriving Canada, with many trials and errors with many seasioning, especially, "knorr" i gave up cooking. I started getting used to the "westernized African taste"

  Months later, i found african stores yay!!! but ofcourse it comes with its hefty prices and constantly using blender to crush 'knorr' or buying some "locust beans" that has been dried out to be preserved till it arrives Canada. Again,"westernized African taste"

  Then i stumbled on Asian Grocery stores! Ta da!!!!! let me be honest with you, here you'll find some of the Best Seasonings. years later, we were able to match, African stores that is, with our seasoning. Enough of the endless history. lets dive in!

In this picture, i have EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN YOUR AFRICAN KITCHEN, but ofcourse i'll discuss where you can get it for my Windsorites.


GRANULATED MUSHROOM BOUILLON:

Here is a Granulated Mushroom Bouillon. My mum put me on to the seasoning. H'amazing! ok, i know alot of people are allergic to "ajinomotto" I am. for years, i didn't know ingesting the monosodium glutamate which is the main component in this seasoning broke me out like crazy so i switched to this for my Jollof Rice, fried rice or party stew. I mean if you want that Naija taste. ofcourse, use with caution and read all the ingredients before using! Again, this did not break "ME" out. My windsorites, please check Multifood for this seasoning. If you're located anywhere else, please check your local grocery store or online.

BEST QUALITY CHICKEN POWDER:

Again, you want to make that soup without crushing Knorr in your blender, this powdered seasoning is the go to! saves me from the crushing and has thesame powdery consistency as 'knorr'. Again, please do your due diligence. Can be purchased online or at Multi-food.






COOL RUNNINGS FISH SEASONINGS & RICE AND PEAS SEASONING:
This is ideal for grilling your fish or few stew. This can be purchase any grocery store; for windsorites, freshco, Food Basic or again, Multifood.
sometimes i love making rice and peas. here's my go to seasoning.




FRIED RICE SEASONING:
This spice, not sure what i'll use as the heading but is the BOMB in making your fried rice. when everything is cut fresh, dazzle this spice to your fried rice and watch the magic happen. Not sure where this can be purchased but i bought this in Michigan. :( sorry guys!








    CRAY FISH & DRY POWDERED PEPPER:
     lol i once saw a joke online about dating Igbo and Yoruba girls: Igbo girls na crayfish and yoruba   girls na pepper! this is innacurate because that will make me tribal mixed. You want that local taste? then add this to your seasoning. in further blogs, i'll teach you guys how to use it.







CURRY, THYME & NUTMEG AND POTASH:
Curry and Thyme is a MUST HAVE! in Any kitchen....nutmeg, i put it in many things LOL

many who aren't yoruba may be puzzled by this weird stone. trust me, if you want your okra or ewedu to draw? get this please! potash can be bought at JP.











I'll stop here for now....if there are any seasoning you want me to discuss, let me know. please in the comment section, educate me on some of your go-to seasonings. i would love to know and taste, so i can add it to mine :)

My next blog, we'll be making goatmeat soup! yummy! here's a picture of the goatmeat :) please, salivate on!


Until next time, au revoir!


Comments